Get Ready for Triathlon Season 2013!
It’s time to plan your training to be ready to compete in Virginia triathlon events.
Virginia Triathlon Series has posted the 2013 events, and registration fees increase Jan. 1.
Triathlons close to the Southeastern Virginia area include:
- April 6: Smithfield Sprint. This is a great event for first-timers because the swim is in a pool and the bike and run courses are relatively flat.
- June 8: Jamestown International Triathlon.
- July 13 and 14: Colonial Beach (Northern Neck) Pohanka Nissan/Hyunadai-YMCA Sprint and International events.
- July 21: Tidewater Sprint (Buckroe Beach in Hampton).
- Sept 8 and 9: Patriots Half and Sprint at Jamestown
Thinking about doing a triathlon in 2013?
Now is the time to work with a Performance Coach / Trainer to develop the strength, power, speed and agility you will need to perform at your best. Tidewater Physical Therapy’s Coaches at the Performance Centers in Newport News and Gloucester provide a different element of training that will help you be a stronger swimmer, cyclist and runner.
Working with a Performance Coach / Trainer provides a chance to cross train and try drills that work muscles in different ways to maintain a balanced body. Mental training comes with working under the supervision of a trainer who will push you when you are tired to go farther or faster.
Think of this as a time for an active recovery as you integrate some of the necessary components of training for an endurance event that are not just actual swimming, biking or running drills.
*Karen Kovacs, PT, OCS is the Clinical Director of Tidewater Physical Therapy’s Gloucester Point location. She is a Physical Therapist and USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coach.